If you are reading this post, probably you are looking for a way to sell your products online. You are in the right place, because in this post I will clarify some common misconceptions about selling online, and this is going to help you with your project.
1- Selling online is not just one thing
This probably will surprise you, but selling online isn’t just one thing. You can sell your products and services online in many ways. For example:
- You can open an online shop (and there are many ways to do it)
- You can sell in social media
- You can sell in WhatsApp
- You can sell by a marketplace, like Amazon, eBay, AliExpress etc
- You can sell in a classified adds website or app, like MilAnuncios, Wibbo etc.
- And more…
Now, probably you realise what I mean. The thing here is that you don’t need to open a website if you don’t want to. What you need to do is to study the different sales channels that you can use for yours goods, and then implement them. Moreover, you can have more than one one sales channel online!
2- Is better if you specialise
Something that you need to considerate is that specialise shops like Trussardi clutch bags sells more online than a multi-product website. As you can see, that link only sells you one kind of thing: bags from the Italian brand Trussardi.
People on the Internet looks for particular kinds of products. If you offer those products at the correct price, you sell. On the other hand, imagine that you are looking for those Trussardi bags, but you enter that website and find lots of different unrelated products, like food for cats or computers. What would you do, as a customer?
Probably, if you are looking for bags, and don’t see bags, you move to another shop. That’s the reason why Jane’s Road is a good example of a good online shop.
3- Have an online shop is not enough, you need to move traffic
Many people fall in this mistake. You can have a very pretty online shop, but without traffic, it doesn’t sell. Why? Well, what I mean by “traffic” is just people to enter into the shop, potencial customers.
If you have a physical shop, but anyone enter by the door, then you don’t sell anything, right? With online shops happens the same. You need to have people who enters into your shop. On the Internet, there are 4 different ways to do it:
- Organic. You manage to appear in firsts Google results when people looks for your products. You can do it by implementing SEO techniques.
- Direct. People knows that you have an online shop, and goes directly to it. For example, if you also have a physical shop and announce there that you have a website, and people enters into the website.
- Referral. This is when people enters to your shop from another website. This can be a website that talks about your shop, or even social media posts.
- Paid traffic. You can hire advertisement campaigns in places like Google or Facebook. When people see your ads, they can click on it and enters into your shop.
4- The person who is easier to sell to, is the client who already bought you
Something that many online shop owners doesn’t take into consideration is that they can sell their products to the same people more than once. That’s the easier person to sell too, because is someone that already have the trust in you to buy from you.
You can create fidelity campaigns with vouchers for this people, or have a newsletter with new promotions etc. There are many ways to do it, depending on your business model, the kind of products that you sell.. etc.
5- All of this is easier than you think, just take action
All of this can be a bit overwhelming at the beginning, however is easier when you do it. Don’t fall in the “Analysis Paralysis”. You can start with a little project, and escalate it.
You can do things bad at the beginning, and commit mistakes. It doesn’t matter if you learn from it. That’s because if you take action, you can have more results that the person who never do it.
I hope that you found this content useful. If that’s the case, or you have any question don’t fear to leave a comment. In addition, it would be great if you can share this content in your social media, for help other people. See you soon!